About Me

My photo
Third Rock from the Sun, Tennessee, United States
I am on a journey with my Mother who is afflicted with Alzheimer's Disease. I am learning to be her caregiver and as I walk in this path, I am gleaning the knowledge of this debilitating disease that robs the mind of intellect and sense. As I gather up the colors of my life I am finding the time to give to myself as well through my journey of art works. It's my escape from the real world of worries and struggle and strife. My refuge is on the blank pages filled with my spirit of energy of thoughts and emotions of the days. I'm a Libra according to the stars of the universe. I'm a daughter, a wife to James, who tolerates my need of balance and creativity, sister, mother to two awesome sons, Jeremy and Jason as well as I'm a grandmother of four precious blessings. A devoted pet owner of D.O.G., my bearded collie mix pound puppy who thinks he's human and if he had thumbs, he'd be earning his room and board.

Monday, January 3, 2011

After Sumo Wrestling Toads by S. Worthington (summitted with permission by the sculptor artist)

I want to share with you an inspiring sculptor and artist in which I came to impose on him by venturing through this world wide, sometimes confusing web.  His name is Steve Worthington.  I kinda sorta went about this venture a bit back*sswards, but it all worked out gracefully at the end.

I was searching for some inspiration to finish up my Sketchbook Project with the Art House Coop and found this beautiful and entertaining sculpture of Sumo Wrestling Toads'  Bronze Edition of 10  24"h, 38"w, 25"d by Steve Worthington via the Brookgreen Gardens web page .  

His sculpture reminded me of my son and his best friend showing off to each other their "holds and pinnings" of martial-type arts which I just call "backyard shenanigans".  So I get out my pencil and colors of choice of my vision in realism of the sculpture and start to put it all on paper.  It was a delightful piece to render.  Then I get to thinking, oh my, I should do a bit of research on this artist and ask permission.  So off I go again on the web and find his page.  http://www.steveworthingtonart.com/  


I submitted an email to this artist with an explanation of my purpose for contacting him in hopes of not embarrassing him or myself and knowing that I can easily remove the page if I don't hear from him within a reasonable amount of time, like the day before I need to get the sketchbook postmarked and submitted for the tour this year.  But lo' and behold within the hour I get this gracious and supportive reply giving me permission along with instructions of how to submit such a "view" of other artists pieces of work, which I did not know.  So after a few short conversations via email of granted permission to use this page in my book, I breathe again.



Thank you Steve Worthington for your generous acceptance of my "After Sumo Wrestling Toads" submission to my Sketchbook Project 2011.   May your year be filled with continued success and inspiration to many wannabe artists around the world.  


I would like to add that Mr. Worthington also has a very entertaining and informative blogspot that I also have subscribed to my RSS feed.  http://www.steveworthingtonart.blogspot.com/

Have a great day!!!
Photobucket
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I've looked at this piece several times now and it just makes me chuckle every time. The detail is brilliant - it's just the wrestling frogs that make me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your drawing! And I also love the story of the inspiration behind it, the original artist and his gracious emails. We artists (and I include you in that group) are awesome people, aren't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your comments ladies. I truly enjoyed this piece and happy that you did too.

    ReplyDelete